Tuesday, January 5, 2010

laser rifle final-ish final

Yeah, I know. That was quick. But nevertheless, the laser rifle is 100% complete! There wasn't near as much stuff wrong with it as Chernobyl, so it took only some minor tweaking to get it to the level I wanted. Here it be:

List of changes:

1)- The wood stock grip was far too damaged looking. I tried to justify in my mind why it would look that way before, but this time around I decided that it needed to be revamped. The specularity plays better off of the bumps and I've also added a silver rim around it that helps it pop out a bit more.

2)- The glass encasing the blue batteries looks more glass-like now. How nice!

3)- Some subtle paint marks have been added to the wood stock. I thought it might have been lying around a woodshop and someone might have gotten some paint on it accidentally. It adds a little, visually to the wood.

4)- I made all of the lights on the trigger dimmed out completely, except for the one that the switch is on, which I made more chromatic to differ from the others. You can see it in the second pic. It's the green light.

5)- I altered the specular maps in general, as adding the new lightmass system made the lighting different. Some things are more or less specular.

6)- The most apparent of all the changes is adding the new lightmass system. It's what's responsible for probably more the 50% of the overall improvement. Bump and specularity show up better, and light reaches all around the object in a more realistic manner.

So that's another one down. The plan remains the same for now with all the other projects. I have yet to touch base with Jake on the desert project, and I plan on doing that ASAP. While I'm waiting for sketches, I'm gonna start on production for the demo reel. I must say that I'm getting excited as the global game jam gets closer, and I'll also be helping Joe with his new film. Expect something on the desert or demo reel towards the middle of the month or so. YES.

No comments: