Monday, October 26, 2009

Laser Rifle Modeling

Well now, here it is. The actual geometry for the rifle is done. I'm really happy with the way this has turned out so far, as I'm usually a little unsatisfied with my models until the normal mapping is applied. So, I'm excited to see how much better it will look with it on. Deciding what the poly count was going to be was a bit tricky, as weapons have a different philosophy to them than the regular props I usually do. There are usually three models used for a single weapon:

1) For the first person view, a higher poly model to hold up at a close distance.
2) The model that you see other players holding, which is about mid poly range. Some games will switch it to a lower poly mesh when it reaches a certain distance from you.
3)A pickup gun mesh. You know, the one that floats around or sits on the ground for you to pick up. Usually also a mid poly mesh.

So that's the dilemma. Which do I do?

I decided to do the mid poly version, because it seems like a good compromise. Doing something too high poly might make it look like I can't conserve geometry, and a low poly version for far away distances makes it look like I can't model in a complex manner.

Once I decided to go with that, I needed an example to follow from some game. I chose Team Fortress 2, because its model viewer lets you see the exact geometry display and count. I looked for a weapon similar in complexity and found that it was twice as many polys as I had on the rifle. TF2 models are usually very low poly with it being an online only game, so my model looked extremely well budgeted. I added some geo here and there, and came to a good looking model that conserved polys where it needed to.

So now, I layout the uv's, make the zbrush model, apply it as a normal map, paint the color map, and then finally the specular map. Easy right? :P

I'll update next with the finished uv layout, which will hopefully be tomorrow. After that, it'll be the normal mapped model alongside the mid geo model with the normal map applied. That will be sometime in early November if all goes to plan.

1 comment:

Jake_bot said...

DAMN! that looks effin' sweet! It looks true to the original drawing too, so bonus points. The only thing missing in the geometry is the electrical tape holding the laser in place, but that could possibly be in the texture map too.

let's see... good details with the ridges on the weaver rail and the rubber end on the stock. The bulge om the top of the stock looks a bit too high, but it doesn't look bad. I like the power cable, I think that reads well.

I think the from-behind view turned out well too. That's the angle you'd see most often in a first person shooter, I might try designing from that angle more, come to think of it.

If this was an item pickup that you'd see in the game world, you could probably simplify the geometry a bit, but if this is a first person view model then it's spot on. I can't wait to see it all textured and everything. good luck!