Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Where do I begin?

Well, I guess I can start off with the bad news. Some professional game devs have collectively decided to crush my soul. It's a good kind of soul crushing though, because they critiqued my demo reel and in a nutshell, I'm not good enough to start applying to places yet. They REALLY hated the laser rifle, so that got trashed all together. In a couple of months, hopefully I'll be ready.

More bad news: The tf2 props have been scrapped. I loved working on them, and would love nothing more than to finish them, but it has become a low priority for me. (See below as to why)
It's what I would like to do rather than what I should be doing.

Good news: I've begun working on my first group project! Me and some other Chicago chaps are making an action rpg demo, kinda like Mass Effect as far as style goes. They're two years into it so far, so it's cool to be sort of diving into it head first, right into the fray. I've got a couple models done so far, and we meet up every other week, so good times are ahead.

More good news: In response to those critiques I mentioned before, I'm doing a new solo project that is basically making a ridiculously detailed high resolution mesh in zbrush and showing it off. I need to have a piece that shows off my high poly modeling skills, and I guess you could say that the style of TF2 weapons doesn't allow for such detail. My roommate Joe and I have come up with a concept, and he's currently sketching it out. Details to follow.

No comments: