Monday, August 30, 2010

New things in the mix

So, guess what? I am now a Chicago resident. YES. Where do I begin? Let's see....

1) The website is under a bit of a delay. My website maker lady had an unfortunate incident with her computer which makes it unclear as of now whether or not she lost all of her files. So I'm waiting to see how that goes. No idea on when the site will be up. I'm not worried though. It's not a matter of if, but rather a matter of when.

2) I've been playing the resume game, getting ready to apply to some companies. It seems that everyone wants something different in a resume, so that makes it tough. Just some tweaks here and there and they'll be done. Cover letters are another story entirely. Ugh.

3) I've started on another project. I've decided to visit some familiar territory this time. I'm doing some TF2 weapons! If you remember back to a year ago, I tried to work with the source engine and ended up scrapping that ctf map I worked so hard on. Compiling custom content for Valve's games is a nightmare, which is precisely why I gave up. But, long story short, I won't have to worry about that this time. You see, Polycount, the forum I frequent, held a contest with Valve recently that I really wanted to participate in, but couldn't because I was so determined to get the desert environment done. So now I'm going to do it on my own. Sort of my own little private contest. You make three new weapons for a class, and then send them in to Valve. Obviously, I can't get any sort of prize now, but I can send it in to them and have it put in the game. That's right. If you send them your own models and textures, they will compile them for you, and put them in your backpack so you can use them in-game. This kills so many birds with one stone that it's not even funny. Not even. I love TF2, it'll do a good job of replacing the laser rifle, which I am less and less happy with every time I look at it (though it's still not bad, really), and this will also show that I can do stylized prop work and not just stuff based on realism.

I've already got the concepts done, and I just started on modeling today. I'll post some pics when the models are ready, which will hopefully be soon.

No comments: