Wednesday, August 6, 2008

CTF_Platform: A Team Fortress 2 Map

Okay, so I've decided to give this whole blog thing a try for my next project. I'm making a Team Fortress 2 map, and my postings will be for showing progress through time. I'm sure more people will see this once the beta for the map is up and hopefully people will be playing it, and I can get some feedback. As for a time frame, there is none. I'll take the approach that Valve and Blizzard take and say that it's done when it's done. I don't want to take forever on this, but at the same time, I want the quality to be as good as it can be. I would like to have this and a single player map (using another engine) done by the fall of 2009, which is when I will hopefully be moving to a larger city with companies that I can show my demo reel to.

Here's a rundown of my process:

1)Build a prototype in Hammer that represents proper spacing and collision for the level. In other words, no art at all, just for gameplay sake. As I'm doing this, I will be thinking about concepts. As of now, I'm calling the map CTF_Platform.

2)Think out conceptual props, structures, and ideas, and adjust the level to meet such things. If I nail it just right, I'll be able to make the environment look interesting while keeping the original spacing intact.

3)Add details such as decals that point the players in the right direction, and that avoid any confusion as to where to go.

4)Work on functionality. Add the intel, set respawn times, round times, invis walls, etc.

5)Add placeholder textures that make it clear what is what, and which base is which. Still no art, but enough to not hamper anyone's experience.

6)beta release: Give the beta map to servers and see what happens.

7) Adjust the map based on feedback, while adding in art to make the level more enjoyable and immersive. The only pre-existing textures and models I will use will be for respawn rooms and guidance signs.

8)optimize the level and release the final version to servers.

That seems pretty far off :)

No comments: